As a writer with over 25 years of professional experience and 22 years as a life and business coach, I combine these unique talents to help aspiring and emerging writers to make a difference as they express their life purpose through the power of the written word.
I also enjoy connecting with readers who love a good story that entertains while also enlightening and encouraging them to live their own life on purpose. I call that visionary fiction. If you love a good nonfiction book that both enlightens and encourages you in your life while also being entertaining, that’s visionary nonfiction, and this is the place for you as well!
I became an avid reader of visionary fiction and nonfiction including fantasy and science fiction as an eleven-year-old boy when my next-door neighbor, who was a children’s librarian, took pity on my single-parent mom. Bored out of my gourd with no one to play with but good ‘ol mom, I drove her crazy until Mrs. Crabtree brought home a stack of books she knew would hook a young boy and give my mom some relief. It worked. I’ve been hooked ever since.
For the past two decades I’ve been conducting an experiment. Is it possible to create a new context for my life that I feel is “divinely inspired” and true to my deepest values, my sense of what’s possible, and true to my soul and spirit? If it is possible, what will be the results? Will it enhance my life? Will I experience a true sense of purpose and meaning? Will I know at the end of the experiment that my life has mattered?
Becoming a writer of visionary fiction and non-fiction has been an integral part of this experiment, as was co-founding Life On Purpose Institute with my wife in 1996, being a coach to assist others to create their own life on purpose experiment, and training other Life On Purpose Coaches.
Since selling my veterinary practice in the late 80’s to pursue a career as a writer and life coach, I’ve published over 350 magazine articles in such publications as Family Fun, Boys’ Life, Body and Soul (then New Age Journal), Yoga Journal, and Better Homes and Garden, to mention just a few. Many of these have been part of my pet writing project: Project Purpose: to write and publish articles about people whose lives are dedicated to a bold and inspiring purpose or vision.
From magazine writing, it was a natural next step to graduate to writing books, starting with visionary nonfiction — books that engage and encourage while also entertaining. So far this includes:
• Life On Purpose: Six Passages to an Inspired Life, (Book 1 of the Life On Purpose Series)
• From Spark to Flame: Fanning Your Passion & Ideas into Money-making Magazine Articles that Make a Difference.
• Spiral of Fulfillment: Living a Life of Service, Simplicity & Spiritual Serenity (Book 2 of the Life On Purpose Series)
• Clarity of Purpose: Don’t Live Life without It (Part of the Life On Purpose Special Report Series)
• Coaching to Win (my first visionary nonfiction book currently being revised and updated for future release)
Then there are some dreams that hang around and won’t go away, no matter how many time you push them to the back burner. That’s the case with the dream that began as a eleven-year-old boy. That’s where the other half of the equation comes in — visionary fiction — stories that, first and foremost, entertain while also enlightening and encouraging the reader to embrace greater possibilities in their lives. This category includes:
- Dominion Over All is a transformational fantasy for the middle grade and young adult market. It combines my love for fantasy with my passion and love for animals, as demonstrated by my past career as a small animal veterinarian.
- Seeds of a New Birth — a most adult SF techno-thriller explores what happens when genetic engineering combines with rampant greed. Book two of the Kindred series is now available for pre-order.
And of course I love to read as well as write. A few of my all time favorites are:
• Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
• Boy’s Life by Robert McCammon
• Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, and
• The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One by Patrick Rothfuss
To name a few.